Wednesday, August 29, 2012

#2 on Pg. 347

Fear, adrenaline, suspense, knowing that a murder can jump out from the corner at any minute, but not knowing when. These are a few things that make horror movies worth watching. 
The first time I was introduced to scary movies was when I was 9 years old. My family and I were hosting a movie night and a few family friends came to join us. The movie choice was Children of the Corn. Sure, the graphics were horrible and the blood was obviously synthetic, but hey, I was 9 years old and it was my first scary movie ever, nothing could go wrong. I grabbed a bowl of popcorn, cuddled up close to my best friends, and pressed play. I liked to put myself in the position of the protagonist, it always took the experience to the next level. Stephen King’s masterpiece was everything I could have hoped for! There was blood, guts, and creepy children! 
After that, I was a horror film junky. I would ask my mom to get me a scary movie when we went to the movie store. And when she did, one was never enough. One I remember being the most scary was The Ring. I even had frequent nightmares about it. In the dream, I would be running franticly away from the lady in the well. But it was never fast enough, and I would wake up just before I has killed. But even the terrifying dreams weren’t enough to keep me away. That was, until scary movies stopped being scary.
There aren’t any good new horror films these days. Just gory and anticlimactic moving pictures. What once was my favorite movie genre, is now just disappointment, one after another. Those things that once made scary movies great, aren’t there anymore. Or perhaps it’s that I’ve out grown them. Whatever the case, horror films, no longer fill me with fear, adrenaline, and I seem to always know then the murder is going to jump out from behind the corner.

Word count: 335

 

No comments:

Post a Comment