Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Assignment #3.


            Having had a canine companion my entire life, the thought of no longer having a fuzzy friend to cuddle with at night was something I didn’t want to bare.
            It was December 2001, I was six years old, and my family and I were headed down to the White Pass and Yukon Route train depot. It was the day of the Santa train, which meant I had the chance to see Santa and tell him what I wanted for Christmas. When we arrived the feeling of the holiday season was in the air. Fresh, powdery snow on the ground from the night before, the flickering Christmas lights in the shape of reindeer decorating the walls, and the sound of children crying from being forces to sit on some strange mans lap while stander-byes laugh and point and stick cameras in their faces. After waiting about twenty minutes of standing in line, and about five crying babies, I was finally up. I plopped my rump right on Santa’s lap, looked up at him with my best pleading eyes, and said, “Santa, this year, the only thing I want for Christmas, is a REAL puppy. Not one of those fake stuffed ones like last year.” Lucky enough for me, the man playing Santa that year had a dog who just gave birth to a little of nine beautiful pups on December 10th.
            A month later, the new member of the family had arrived. We decided to name him Calvin. Seeing as how we owned a cat named Hobbes, it seemed appropriate. He was a great pup, he would come in my room every night, climb on my bed, and wait until I fell asleep, then made sure to be back in my bed before I woke up the next morning. He listened to me even though he knew he was twice my size and was mistaken as a bear and a normal basis. It was easily the best Christmas present any child could be given. It goes without saying, not only me, but my whole family were spoiled.
            Just like every living thing, he was aging. He was eight years old when we started noticing the arthritis in his hips and other joint problems. After many strenuous hike and being 120 pounds, this was not unexpected. The question was first asked by my sister, do we get another dog? It seemed like the thing to do. Calvin was getting to old to hike, and my mom needed a partner to walk up a mountain with. After seeing many potential applicants for another pup, we just couldn’t come to face the fact that Calvin was getting older, and soon would not be with us anymore. Despite my mom’s doubts, my sister, dad, and I found a dog at the Anchorage pound that was perfect. A pit bull lab mix that was two years old and cute as can be. My sister made several visits with Gracie to make sure she was well behaved. The previous owner said the only issued she had was a little aggression toward the other female dog in her home, but it was minor. Needless to say, I was excited to meet the newest addition to our family.
            It was the day Kaylie and Gracie were coming home. My mom wasn’t informed about the new member of the family, so it was extra exciting. The introduction of Calvin and Gracie couldn’t have gone better. They instantly started barking and playing like they had known each other their whole lives. Everything was going swimmingly. Until one day, I walked into the house and found my mom and sister crying. I asked what had happened, and I was informed that while on a walk, Calvin was playing with a stick and Gracie attacked him. This made my mom uneasy, so we had to giver her away. I was heart broken I was excepting to have another Calvin. Calm, well behaved, wouldn’t hurt a fly. But instead, I had to say good-bye to a dog I had already fallen in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment